7/13/09

Thoughts on 2.5 months of Unemployment.

Mind you, I'm writing this immediately after a nap - thoughts may be hazy. By the way, naps are one of the perks of Unemployment.

I have been unemployed for 53 days. This is the longest period of time I've "done nothing" in my life. Since I was 16, I've worked in addition to school. In college, I usually had three jobs at a time, plus 5 classes per semester. I was raised to be a workhorse and it suited me well. I started working the week after I graduated college, and stayed there for a year. Until I realized I was not happy. And I knew I needed to be somewhere else (read: graduate school, working for a nonprofit).

At bars, I've often planned on getting 'I graduated college, quit my job, have no money and no plan' drunk. (It never happened. I'm too cheap to get that kind of drunk). When my roommate with two jobs would come home at the end of the day and eye me suspiciously, I would retort, "Yes, Adam. It's a 'sit in bed, drink wine and be bra-less' kind of day." Yes, I have gotten a lot of time in at the beach. Yes, I generally sit at Tanner's coffeeshop for 3-4 hours, researching jobs, graduate school programs, and studying for the GRE. I've gone on roadtrips in the middle of the week, spent hours and hours with my best friends, watched neighborhood little league games, read a bunch of books and watched a lot of Oprah.

I guess you could say it's been a vacation, but does a normal vacation consist of constantly worrying about money, GRE scores, health insurance, classes to take to get into grad school, pleasing my parents, and the ever-elusive "future"?

It hasn't been that much of a vacation. I just feel like I'm in a really, really long weekend, dreading that Monday I know is coming - and for me, "Monday" means getting shit figured out.

Monday, where are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment